The Summer Medical Institute Philadelphia
Dates: June 25-July 16, 2016
The SMI 2016 application is available here. Note: the application must be completed in one sitting (it cannot be saved and returned to), although short answer questions can be copied from an external document.
Description: During this unique three-week, urban immersion program, Christian health professions students learn to address health needs of the largely low-income, urban community in Hispanic North Philadelphia and integrate their faith and the medical practice. Through service to the community, students are discipled, develop their relationship with God and examine their role as Christians in healthcare. The program partners with Esperanza Health Center, a Christian, federally qualified low-income health center with three locations in North Philadelphia (www.esperanzahealthcenter.org). Students from all levels are welcome.
The student support for participating in the SMI is $1200, which is tax deductible if donors itemize deductions. Many students choose to raise support to cover this cost. If you choose to support raise, we can provide sample letters, forms and guidelines to help you, and will provide support and information throughout the process.
*New Opportunity in 2016: SMI Albania* Immediately after SMI Philadelphia (July 17-30, 2016–students will be excused two days early from SMI Philly to prepare), four SMI students will have an opportunity to travel to Tirana, Albania to work with a Christian medical clinic that partnered with SMI Philly in 2015 (Albanian interns will be working with us in Philadelphia again in 2016). Students will work with Christian Albanian medical and nursing students and clinicians to provide neighborhood medical outreach to the local community, learning about how the experience in SMI Philadelphia applies in this unique cross-cultural and religiously diverse context, as well as participating in discipleship with the Albanian Christian health care students. A separate application and brief interview are required for this opportunity. Additional support raising costs are closely estimated at $2250, including airfare. Please contact the SMI Philadelphia director at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in more information and an application for SMI Albania.
- Urban medical outreach: Students live and work together in the dense urban environment, daily providing door-to-door health screens for diabetes and blood pressure, as well as providing information about HIV, asthma and nutrition while sharing the love of Christ through conversation and prayer with those they meet. Students will learn first-hand the impact of social, cultural, spiritual, and economic factors on health.
- Education: Students can each shadow health care providers at Esperanza and observe an effective model of Christian primary care. Third and fourth year medical students may participate in SMI as an academic rotation, pending school approval and availability.
- Mentoring: Christian clinicians from all fields volunteer to work alongside the students during the outreaches, as well as share meals and even some downtime activities. They will also teach students on topics relevant to medical practitioners during orientation, breakout teaching sessions (“Institute Days”), and the final “Return Training.”
- Discipleship: Small group Bible study, daily debriefing, twice-weekly teaching on biblical foundations, and daily prayer and worship are integrated throughout the program. Through this, students are able to develop their relationship with God and begin to process and respond to the issues they encounter.
- Community: Participants live together and work in partnership with area churches. They also come to know people in the community by meeting them in the churches, in their homes, in the clinic, and on the streets.
To read the student blog, visit smiphilly.wordpress.com. Also watch our SMI Philly informational video below:[vimeo https://vimeo.com/84184718 w=500&h=375]